26 November 2016

PMX 2016



One of my favorite conventions to go to is the Pacific Media Expo (PMX) in the fall. The first year I went it was by the Los Angeles airport, but for the past two years it has been in Pasadena. I have no preference to the location, but I have to say the new location splitting the convention into two different buildings was strange. Not bad though, since it was nice to be separated from the anime part of PMX. Made it feel much more intimate and more lolita than anime.

Day One - Juliette et Justine VIP Brunch & Cafe V Panel

I went to PMX this year with my good friend Sara (thankfully she drove the entire time!), and we left Thursday evening so I could make it to the VIP brunch Friday morning.

The venue was beautiful, the food was delicious, and the company was splendid. We did have issues with the ordering process, which I later found out was because the waiter was supposed to give us all a prefix menu. I won't go into detail because I am still a little confused about the whole ordeal. However, when I asked for a non-dairy option the waiter put up such a fuss about how almost everything had something dairy and he'd see if the chef could come up with something. I can't believe they never have vegan guests, and he was rude about it. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if we could know what sandwiches we would get with out meal before hand, but noooo we got whatever they had the ingredients for that day. 

As gorgeous as the venue was, I don't think I'd go there again on my own.



I have to say, Nakamura is quite honestly the sweetest designer I've ever met. She is so genuine in her compliments and her interest us. At her Q&A panel the next day, she gave a lot of typical "You are all my inspiration!" answers, but she really meant them.

She is also the most flexible designer I've met. Although she revealed she had lost most of her print designs from a computer crash, she said she was more than happy to try to re-release some if someone could lend her the original item to redraw the print from. She mentioned to us that she likes hearing requests and those that speak the loudest are the most likely to get their wish. Based on the VIP tea party, a rerelease of the famed "dragon-chan"(?) might be seen soon!

Nakamura is also so delighted with requests for custom one-of-a-kind dresses, like wedding dresses. Of course it would take a long time and lots of money, but she said she would be honored to exchange emails with you to figure out how to make the wedding gown of your dreams.


After the brunch, I went to the early access shopping. I only bought a pair of tights from the JetJ booth because I had told myself I would only buy a dress if they brought Antique Doll. I did buy some accessories from various indie designers, and I bought a print and a commission from Ainiwaffles of myself. Check out what I bought when I post my PMX haul video!

In the evening, Sara and I went to Cafe V's panel. They unfortunately weren't able to have an acutal butler cafe this time, but they treated their panel like one of their events. They threw cheeky quips at each other and fun little games for the crowd. I heard from someone that their panel was the fullest the con had this year. 

And as always, I was the first to jump at the opportunity for kabe-don. They are so good at it, and I love to support all their endeavors. Totally not endorse, but try to attend an event if you're in town!


My outfit for day one consisted of my only JetJ dress (which I shamelessly wore twice because I felt obligated to wear JetJ to see the designer...) and a beautiful hat I bought last year at the Dicken's Fair. I hope to find more this year...


  • JSK - Juliette et Justine, La Robe du Château
  • Blouse, shoes - Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
  • Necklace - Offbrand
  • Hat - Offbrand
  • Socks - Innocent World






Day Two - Marvelous Menagerie Tea Party


The second day of PMX was the grand tea party. It was offsite, which was a little inconvenient to walk to... but I sure could use the exercise! The venue was gorgeous, decorated to look like a picturesque English garden. Supposedly we were supposed to have the whole place booked to ourselves, but I didn't really notice the other patrons because our section was secluded.

Every guest received a beautiful custom JetJ tea cup and saucer, rose flavored sugar hearts, a BB and B Confectionery phone charm, and a plastic folder from Haenuli full of treats (a comic book, stickers, and a catalog).

I have to say that I was so happy we had iced tea. It was unbearable hot and dry that weekend for the middle of October. Then again, it's Los Angeles...


Sara and I left right after the tea party so we could go back to our room and rest for our 10:30pm reservation at a fabulously crazy restaurant Barton G. Oh man, those liquid nitrogen cocktails and cheesy lobster poptarts... YUM!

My outfit for day two was the same JetJ dress, but coordinated much fancier than Friday's. Big surprise! I love the Victorian look (Nakamura just loved how I looked like Mary Poppins), but I also wanted to pair my Triple Fortune bonnet with this dress. I wanted to include as many crazy elements into my coord to match the hodgepodge of a print. I added a little gold bird to my hair, a castle rosette, and cat themed things everywhere.

  • JSK - Juliette et Justine, La Robe du Château
  • Blouse - Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
  • Tights, cat ring - Enchantlic Enchantilly
  • Bonnet - Triple Fortune
  • Cat portrait ring - Mossbadger
  • Shoes - Bait
  • Peony brooch - Moss Märchen
  • Wig - Lockshop, Starlet in Vanille
  • Everything else - Offbrand




Day Three - Fashion Show


Day three was mostly just the fashion show for me since I was modeling for LIEF. Although I was sad not to have fit the aesthetic for JetJ, I love LIEF's things just as much. The four of us had a blast together - it's much more personal and fun when the modeling group is smaller.

I didn't take many photos since I was busy socializing and prepping for the show, so I had to borrow one from Sienna.


I had such a blast at PMX this year, I hope you'll come if you have the chance!




Thank you for reading my blog, it really means a lot. 

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog. 

Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT FORM MESSAGE IS HERE